You may have seen it in movies where the doorbell suddenly rings and as soon as someone answers the door, there is a stranger with a horrible smile on his face standing on the door with a knife in his hand. While this is a scene from the movies, one single malfunction in today’s technology can make that scene a reality. This is exactly what ring doorbell exploit is. Let’s learn more about it.
What is Ring Doorbell Security?
It is a doorbell security device owned by Amazon. It is similar to other regular doorbells except with a technology function in it. The doorbell is attached to your door and connected to your smartphone through Wifi. It allows you to see whoever is at the door before you allow that person to enter. With ring doorbell, you can open the door without having to go to it physically.
What are the security issues that come with it?
Ring doorbell security has exposed its users to many threats in the past. While some of the issues have been resolved, many still persist. Here’re some of the issues:
- As per a user on Reddit, the ring doorbell at his home started sending the information to someone in China.
- As per a study, it is found that a hacker can intercept your doorbell security by putting a virus over the network. This means that the hacker can see who comes in and out of your home. They can also record a particular scene of someone you know coming in and then show it to you so that you may unlock the door.
- Some users experienced that they can still unlock the device by entering old passwords, even when they had changed them.
- The developer team has been accused of watching over the users’ videos.
How can you secure your Ring Doorbell?
Here are some precautions which you should take when using this device:
- Always use a strong password.
- Always keep the software updated.
- Never share security videos or photos publicly.
- Use a Firewall.
- Make sure to take immediate reporting action if you sense something is wrong.
- Delete the old data so there is less information retained about you.
- Always use a VPN to protect your data. If you are using a smartphone, use this app