It has long been understood that public Wifi has become the epitome of hacking and tracking your data quite easily. People all over the world have been robbed out of their money, reputation, and other sensitive data due to hacking over public Wifi. However, what many people still don’t know is that connecting to a VPN immediately after connecting to a public Wifi can secure you. But how? Some people may ask. That is exactly what we’ll discuss in today’s article.
Why should you use VPN over public Wifi?
Wifi has become like the basic necessity of modern times. Whether you are at home, shopping or working at your office, you need Wifi to stay connected with the rest of the world. For some, it is important because their work depends on it, for others, it is a way to socialize and stay in touch with their fellow human beings. Due to this need, many shopping malls, restaurants, and bus stops offer free Wifi service. This Wifi service is open to everyone; even the hackers.
Now that a majority of people rely on their smartphone devices to check their finances, health care, and insurances, they need to be connected to the internet no matter wherever they are. However, when you connect to the internet:
- The email account can be exposed
- Your financial login details can be exposed
- Your healthcare insurances details can be exposed
- Your current location can be compromised
There have been some videos on YouTube showing experts who were even able to share the screen with another person just by connecting to the same Wifi and without the other person knowing about it. The hackers are also able to place their own server between your device and the Wifi. This way, they are able to manipulate the traffic and even send you to a fake look-alike website where they can monitor your activity.
Some tips to follow before connecting to a public Wifi
- Turn off auto-connecting Wifi. Otherwise, your phone or other devices will be automatically connected to the open Wifi without you even knowing it.
- Think twice before connecting to a public Wifi. Be suspicious. Is it really the bus stop or cafe that is offering the “cafe11223344” wifi.
- Never access sensitive information while being connected to a public Wifi.
- Always use a VPN when connecting to a public Wifi.