Image recognition has quickly become everyone’s favorite technology lately. From technological companies to whole Governments, image recognition has become one of the most common ways to ensure safety and security. However, just like the case is with other technologies, image recognition is also vulnerable to cyber-attacks and can threaten your personal reputation and assets if misused by hackers or even agencies.
What exactly is image recognition?
Have you ever wondered how a computer or mainly artificial intelligence processes your facial information to unlock, pay for or secure your devices? It does so by dividing your image into small packets of data known as “pixels” It identifies these pixels and divides it into different patterns based on the colors, layout and other elements.
When you save your image into your phone to use it as an image recognition id, the AI detects your face based on the pixels orientations it has already saved in its database. From there, it matches the saved information with your current facial image and decides whether you’re the right person trying to unlock the device or not.
How is machine learning assisting image recognition?
It is a very time-taking and intensive process, but once you have educated a machine to understand and identify patterns, it can provide great help.
For that, the engineers store lots of data in the system. This data consists of pictures that have human images in them or not and are labeled accordingly. Once the machine starts to differentiate the images, it becomes easier for it to repeat the same behavior in the future when need be. However, we should also understand that it requires thousands of images to make a machine learn and react properly. That is why it is a very resource-consuming process.
What are the pros of image recognition?
Image recognition is and can be used in multiple domains. Such as:
- Many car manufacturing companies are now considering (and testing) self-driving cars. They implemented effective image recognition in their technology so that self-driving cars can detect human beings and other objects in their surroundings and save from incidents.
- The smartphone industry seemingly has adopted facial recognition as the new and more reliable way of ascertaining a user’s identity.
- Organizations can eliminate thumb scanning and other verification methods and replace them with image recognition. It will not only save them time but also efforts and costs.
- Google has implemented image recognition in its algorithm to provide improved image search results.
Cons of image recognition:
- As image recognition is still in its early phases, someone can use a photo to spoof the technology and gain access to your devices.
- Some Governments are using facial recognition technology to surveil their citizens.
- As your images can be stored in large databases, third party entities (including hackers) can misuse it to gather information about you.
If you want a complete privacy solution for your iOS devices, download Tor Browser Private Web + VPN and get a complete cybersecurity solution for an affordable price.