Long gone are the days when you have to print, sign, scan and email your documents to create a digital version of it. With the advent of digital signatures, all you need is to create a digital signature and use it in whichever document you want to send. It saves you time, effort and money. However, due to the rise in cybercrimes, digital signatures are not invincible altogether. There have been reports of forgeries costing the original sign bearer much damage. Let’s discuss how you can safely create digital signatures and use them so no one is able to misuse them.
What types of digital signatures are there?
Mainly, there are two types of digital signatures in use. Electronic signatures and digital signatures. While one might think of them as the same technology, they aren’t. Electronic signatures are much easier to be forged. On the other hand, digital signatures are almost impossible to be forged. So, what is the key difference?
These signatures are crafted by scanning an image of your handwritten signature, or by gesturing your mouse, or by typing your name in a special font. This can be easily forged as all anyone has to do is to use that specific font or scan your original signature image.
Digital signatures are formed by using cryptographic keys to attach with your signed documents. This way, the sender and receiver can make sure that no one has signed the documents. They are impossible to forge and therefore, mainly used in large corporations and banks.
It should be kept in mind that before you are able to create or add your own digital signature, you will need to obtain a digital certificate from a CA (Certified Authority) or TSP (Trust Service Provider)
Creating a signature in Adobe:
- In the Adobe Dashboard, open “Fill and sign”
- Browse open the document you want to sign
- Now you will need to add your digital signature.
- You can choose a cloud signature and use your digital id as your signature identity, or you can download the document and use a smart card, USB token or digital id.
- When using a cloud signature, ask for a unique digital id from the provider.
- View your document to make any edit you want.
- Congratulations on signing your documents digitally.
Creating a signature in Microsoft Word:
- Open your desired document and double-tap click on the signature line.
- Type in your name.
- Select “Signing as” field and “Change” button next to it.
- If you haven’t added digital certificate details previously, you can add them in “More choices”
- In the certificate details popup, choose “details” and click on “Key usage”
- Click ok
- Sign in to confirm your changes.
- The signatures are added.
How to add invisible signatures in Word?
- Open your document.
- Select “File”
- Tap “Info”
- Select “Add a digital signature”
- In “commitment type” choose, “created and approved this document”
- Now, sign-in to approve this document.
If you love what you have read, don’t forget to try our app as well. It’s free for 7 days. Download it here: https://apps.apple.com/ne/app/tor-browser-private-web-vpn/id1476914678 or here: https://apps.apple.com/ne/app/safenet-vpn-hide-your-ip-uk/id1487914773